Saturday, March 21, 2020

Brothers in Arms - Edward Gontarz, Mar 1944

Postmarked March 8, 1944
Edward Gontarz S 1/C
United States Coast Guard
U.S.S. Laurel
c/o Fleet P.O.
New York N.Y.
Miss Naomi Speer
72 E. Passaic Ave
Rutherford, New Jersey
USA

Dear Naomi,

     I hope you didn't miss my letters too much. Because I feel a little guilty for not writing you a little sooner. I do hope you'll understand and forgive me for being so lazy. After this letter I'll try not to be so lazy and write you more after.

     Let's see it's been nearly two weeks since I've wrote you last. Now let's see what happened. (Nothing I could write about that's interesting.)

     I've received I believe all your letters and so forth. I thank you very much for book of jokes and cartoons which you made by yourself. I also received the Reader's Digest for the month of Jan. So I think I'll get the Digest but still always be a little late.

     About those questions you want me to answer. I believe I've forgotten most of them so why don't you send me the questions you want to have a answer to, and I'll see if I can answer them. Now think hard and make sure you have all the questions down you want me to answer for you. Because I don't always like to answer questions but for one time I'll answer all for you.

     We already got paid a few times. But what good does it do a fellow up here. All you can do is look at the ??? and then put them back into your locker. So it'll depend on how long we stay out here to see just how good of a time I'll have when I get back to the States. The longer I stay here the more money I'll have when I get back.

     There was one thing I didn't tell you in my letters. No come to think of it I didn't write you or anyone at that time. About two weeks ago, my mother send me word that my kid brother was wounded in Italy. I was sort of worried a little thinking about it and didn't feel like doing anything because my mind seemed to be far away, thinking about him out there in Italy. Also at the same time thinking how my mother was taking it back home, Maybe worrying her head about it. As my mother always does when something happens to one of us.

     But then four days later I received another letter. This one was a little better. It told me that my brother was only wounded in the arm and he was in no serious condition. That he was also doing very nicely in a hospital in North Africa.

     After this I felt a little better and now feel like myself. I think I shall close. But! Don't forget the questions because I would like to see just what you want me to answer.

Love
Ed G

P.S. I still don't read over what I write. If there are any mistakes, they are just going to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment