Saturday, April 23, 2011

Adrift Again - S. Gilchrist, Feb 1946

S.S. 'Samshire'
Liverpool
Sun. 17th Feb. '46

My Dear Ni,

     As you can see by the above address I have changed my quarters since I last wrote to you.  I spent about a month in the 'City of Lancaster' but I was brassed off there so when I got the chance of a seagoing job again, I grabbed it with both hands.  And this is it the S.S. 'Samshire' built in Baltimore & a sister ship to the 'Torch' & the 'uta' of beloved memory.  I like these type of vessels, for they are very comfortable.  I am alone abaord tonight, except for Smoky the ships Persian cat, for I lack both the inclination & the hard cash to allow me to dash ahore & indulge in bitter beer & badinage with the barmaid.  I do not like cats, & I do not like Smoky, but she is very beautiful & I must need admire her.  What is more, she does not possess the disgusting habit of most cats of assuming that the 'world is her toilet'.

     We shall probably be in Liverpool for a few weeks yet, which is bad, for I loathe the bloody place, but they have pretty good orchestral concerts once a week, & I may take a couple of days off & run up to Manchester & see Tommy Pallas.  The rest of the time I shall stay aboard, smoke, read, remember & cheat myself furiosly at cribbage, all of which are well loved diversions of mine.

     It is quite a long time since I heard from you, & I could not help but wonder if you had come to the conclusion that you had had enough of my tedious prattle & had finally decided that you would call it off.  I could not blame you if you have, but I would be sorry; sorry indeed.

Should you, however, feel like continuing our usual correspondence, my address is as usual i.e.
'Eng'r Officer S. Gilchrist
S.S. Samshire'
Ellerman Associated Lines Ltd.
Tower Building
Liverpool

     That is really all I have to tell you at present, except that they're playing 'Clair de Lune' on the radio, & I like it & I bet you do too.  Goodbye, & Good Luck, kid, I'll write again soon.

Yours Ever,
Gil

No comments:

Post a Comment